Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The egg-free breakfast...

Okay, this is an issue I run into alllllll the time. What the heck do you feed someone at breakfast who can't eat eggs!? I mean, com'on...it is the quintessential breakfast food! It is the breakfast food to end all breakfast foods (unless we are talking about bacon and then, well, there just is no comparison...but besides bacon). So what do you feed a child who can't eat grains, eggs, soy, milk, yogurt, or any known "normal" breakfast food? Well, the lovely lady over at The Girl Who Went Paleo has come up with the PERFECT solution. It is grain free, it is egg free, it is dairy free, it is A COOKIE!!! What kid wouldn't give his right eye to be able to eat cookies for breakfast!!??  This is a MUST try recipe, for any who care about my opinion on the matter. I did modify this slightly to accommodate our needs, as usual, but the modifications were super minor so take them or leave them.

  1. I used about half the amount of honey.   I made them to the recipe the first go around and felt the honey overpowered things and made them too sweet. About half was perfect for me.
  2. I removed the pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon).  My son is highly intolerant to cinnamon so it was a bad call for me to put it in the first batch...needless to say I was forced to eat those all by myself. (It was torture but I took one for the team because my mom always taught me never to waste food.)
I have to admit, even with the modifications, the cookies are damn good...like super uber good...as in, you should probably plan to double and triple the batch because they are so frickin good you will have a hard time not eating them all in one sitting. And they TOTALLY kick ass with a cold glass of coconut or almond milk.

Oh, and if you happen to be allergic to almonds - no fear. Someone, in the comments of that recipe page has kindly given you the formula for making it with coconut flour instead of almond flour (spoiler alert - use half the amount of flour). 

So there you have it, a super simple cookie recipe that can be used as a breakfast treat or an anytime treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment