Thursday, September 26, 2013

Rice...Rice...RICE.........

Last night I decided we would have sweet and sour chicken for dinner. It is easy enough to make and relatively safe for Paleo eaters and non-Paleo eaters alike. That is...except the rice. I LOVE rice. Jasmine and Saffron rices are my favorite. I could eat both on their own as a complete meal if it didn't destroy my stomach.  Anyway, so I had bought some jasmine rice for the non-Paleo in my house so they would be more likely to sit and have dinner and not complain and then I began to worry that I would not have enough self-control to not eat the rice.  Did I mention...I LOVE jasmine rice. As I stood in the grocery store pining for jasmine rice, it occurred to me that, maybe I could make cauliflower rice instead. Sadly, I don't have any jasmine handy so that was out of the question....but I DO have turmeric....suddenly...I had the perfect solution....Saffron rice!!! Oh the beautiful yellow hue...the delicate smokiness...the almost buttery flavor across the tongue....oh saffron rice...you devil you...how could I resist attempting to make it in a Paleo safe environment...it had to be done...it just HAD TO BE!  The nice thing...now that I have this new found weapon under my belt...my mexican dinner nights will be better for it as well! ;-)  I digress...here is what you came for.....

Paleo Saffron Cauliflower Rice
  • 1 head of cauliflower
  • 2 tsp garlic, minced 
  • 1/4 C. yellow onion, small dice/minced
  • 1 Tbsp grass-fed butter
  • 1 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • Pinch of saffron threads, crushed between your fingers (approx. 1/16 tsp)
  • Salt, to taste

  1. Rinse cauliflower head and rough chop into florets.  Place florets in food processor and process on low or pulse until the consistency of rice kernels.
  2. Heat butter and oil together in a large skillet.  Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent.
  3. Add cauliflower rice and stir to coat the “rice” with the butter/oil.
  4. Add turmeric and saffron, and salt. Stir to combine.
  5. Cover and allow to cook for 5-10 minutes, or until “rice” is tender.
  6. ENJOY!



Oh how I wish I were a better photographer or had a better camera. Whatever though...you get the point...it is yellow rice...and it is DELICIOUS!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment